The Casa del Cabildo is one of the best known in Santiago, any pilgrim or tourist who has walked around the cathedral will remember its magnificent façade, but surely what he does not know is that it is only four meters thick!
The great façade that we see in the Plaza de Platerías is nothing more than a scenographic backdrop. This was conceived as a kind of decorative closure that allowed the grandeur of the cathedral's plazas to be maintained.
Its architecture was designed by Clemente Fernández Sarela, one of the main architects of the Compostela’s Baroque, disciple of Fernando de Casas Novoa, the author of the cathedral facade of the Obradoiro. The building was built between 1754 and 1758 and is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful examples of the Galician baroque.
Its architecture adorns the well-known baroque compostela squares, by the decorative and structural use of granite plates cut in different geometric forms. Among its great architectural features we would also point out the two large gargoyles placed in the corners of its cornice.
In 2011 Casa del Cabido was restored by the Santiago Consortium to be included among the group of museums in the historic city centre. At present it is an exhibition building that can be visited. It occupies the Square of Platerías next to the cathedral and the building previously known as the Bank of Spain, which is at present the headquarters of the Museum of the Pilgrimages and of Santiago, making this place an essential one to visit.
Plaza de Platerías, 2, Santiago de Compostela, 15782
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday: 10.00-14.00, 16.00-20.00. Sunday: 11.00-14.00 h.