Almost nothing is known about the monastery of Samos during the first centuries of its existence. The oldest of its architectural remains is the small chapel of San Salvador, dating from the 10th century and it still stands next to the tree that gave it its nickname: Ciprés( cypress) chapel. For some historians the chapel was the germ of the monastery, but most think that it was of only secondary importance, probably intended for guests, noble or regal pilgrims with their retinues.
Regarding the church of the monastery, we know that in the twelfth century it was rebuilt in Romanesque style, but of this building only a beautiful Romanesque door has survived. The current architecture of the whole monastery began to be built in the sixteenth century, after a devastating fire in 1533 or 1534 which almost completely destroyed the cloisters and convent dependencies.
Capilla de San Ciprés